[vorbis-dev] Comment Tag for Multichannel Streams

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Jul 4 04:56:02 PDT 2001

At 01:25 PM 7/4/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hallo,
>
>the specification in vorbis/doc proposes a set of comment tags, but I think
>there's one missing for multichannel configurations. There should be a value for
>mapping the individual channels to spatial locations. Lets assume a Vorbis
>stream contains 4 channels, two front channels and two back channels, then the
>corresponding comment value could be

Obviously, such a mapping will eventually be required. However, the comment
header is _only_ for human readable 'tags'. It is not, and will not be, used
for important information like this, ever.

>If there is already a mechanism to map the channels to their spatial locations
>please point me to the URL.

Not yet, but there will be. It'll be done properly.

>One additional question: The date tag should contain a date, I suppose. Do
>values of this tag have a special format like the ISO date format, which is used
>commonly in databases and is easily parsable, or is it just a text field, that
>is not meant to be parsed by applications?

We should probably recommend that the date tag be in a particular format, but
we won't require this (people would ignore such a requirement anyway, if we
did). Remember, it's not MEANT to be understood by applications, but having
a standard format here would be sensible.

Michael