[vorbis-dev] ogg vorbis dynamic memory allocation.

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Mon Jul 2 00:44:01 PDT 2001

Firelight Multimedia wrote:

> Hi segher,
> Here are some interesting results after some bashing with Michael and
> Jack on irc, and churning some figures out of my memory manager.
> Current is just the amount allocated at the time the song is played..
> maximum at one time is the ceiling amount of any allocs that file did at
> any time. (the more important one)
>
> codebook.c memusage   : current  69184 : maximum at one time 69184
> sharedbook.c memusage : current 510644 : maximum at one time 512248

codebooks use _way_ too much memory, but it's not _that_ easy to get
rid of as Michael suggests...

> vorbisfile.c memusage : current    100 : maximum at one time 100
> block.c memusage      : current 102948 : maximum at one time 102948
> framing.c memusage    : current  45538 : maximum at one time 74210

Blocking, framing, windowing will be attacked by libogg2, when that
happens...  It's 3rd on my current work list, so it should happen
quite soon.

> res0.c memusage       : current  31960 : maximum at one time 31960

Residue uses too much.

> floor0.c memusage     : current   6176 : maximum at one time 6176
> window.c memusage     : current  33792 : maximum at one time 33792
> mdct.c memusage       : current  13824 : maximum at one time 13824
> info.c memusage       : current   4677 : maximum at one time 4677
> other files memusage  : current   6832 : maximum at one time 6832
>
> michael says "you should be able to kill off 90% of that 500k for decode

Getting it to 100k should be easy, 50k could prove more difficult.

> of files created by the current encoder. Wouldn't be too much work. Ask
> segher, he was going to do it at some point, not sure why he didn't get
> around to it"

The biggie?  Really efficient decoding needs a new decoder, not the mixed
encoder/decoder in the reference source.  And there are various real-world
reasons why I haven't "just" written a new decoder...  Some technical as
well (really should write it tunder for a apecific cpu/os/platform, to get
maximum spped && tightness etc.).

Well anyway, thanks for the report, I'll have a look.

Segher