[vorbis-dev] Quicktime Component

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Thu Jul 26 10:21:44 PDT 2001

At 10:57 PM +0200 7/24/01, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

>Ooh, seems I forgot b).  In b), I add ogg pages (~4-8kB, that's quite a
>nice size
>actually) to the QT stream;  problem is, that sometimes (_very_ sometimes,
>but it does happen) an ogg page doesn't complete any ogg packets, so I would
>need the frameDuration trick there as well;  I solved it differently, namely
>by just concatenating it with the next ogg page (which won't work at the last
>page of the stream...  so no good solution);  but that way, the decoder needs
>to chech whether it got one or multiple pages (not too much trouble, really).

Surely the last page must complete a packet; if not how could you
decode it (if packet means what I call a frame in QT).

The other advantage of this is that the sample offset and time tables
in the Movie header won't get so big, which is a consideration, as it
is held in RAM during play. The danger with VBR codecs with small
frame durations is that these  tables get much bigger than the saving
in being VBR (this is why PureVoice still pretends to be CBR in QT).

>Okay, thanks...  So if I get it correctly, I just add as frameDuration the
>number of the last pcm sample in the QT 'sample', minus the last in
>the previous
>one?

That sounds right - that way seeking should work.