[vorbis-dev] Quicktime Component

Nick D'Amato nick at nouturn.cc
Mon Jul 23 16:39:20 PDT 2001

On 7/23/01 2:58 PM, Kevin Marks said:

> Sounds interesting. What kind of memory problems? Allocating memory
> at decode time is not a good idea on Mac OS 9, as you may be called
> at interrupt time when the heap is in mid-compaction.
>
> This tech note is a fine thing to read on the subject:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1104.html

Hi Kevin,

Okay, I should have clarified a bit more. My fault =)

First, the importer part is blind, so it doesn't know the amount of samples
that are in a file (it does support chained streams). It always
over-calculates the length of the file, so there is emptiness at the end. No
biggie, I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to calculate samples.
I'm not sure if there is a clean way to implement VorbisFile, since it will
calculate for me. Any ideas/code? I know how to do it with VorbisFile, but
then I have to use different structures other than FSSpecs... Ewww!

Currently it only works with 44k, stereo streams, but this is an easy fix,
and kinda goes hand and hand with the above.

Every time I open it in iTunes, it comes in saying 'song name (converted)'.
I guess iTunes will need some changes too.

Right now it comes in the form of an 'sdec' (sound decompressor) and an 'eat
' (movie import). So far, I didn't have a need for a  media handler. Do you
think I'll need one for additional functionality?

Thanks for the TN, it will help!! I'm new to QT components =)

The last thing which I haven't figured out yet, when used in OS X on my
iBook, it skips at frequent yet consistent intervals. Almost sounds as
though carbonizing it changed the physical bit-size of one of my variables
(ie. One byte being perceived as 16 bits or something like this)...

See ya
Nick