[vorbis-dev] file magic for Ogg, Vorbis?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Jul 16 19:02:35 PDT 2001

I am trying to figure out file(1) magic(1) for Ogg and Vorbis.
(I am using file from NetBSD 1.5.1.)

Currently I have:

0	string	OggS		Ogg data
>29	string	vorbis		\b, Vorbis audio

Some results:

 $ file ~/audio/kaas.*
 /home/reed/audio/kaas.mp3: MP3, 128 kBits, 44.1 kHz, Stereo
 /home/reed/audio/kaas.ogg: Ogg data, Vorbis audio
 /home/reed/audio/kaas.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio,
 Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz

Any ideas on what bytes I should look at for more details? (For example,
MP3 and the WAV show how many bits, sample rate, stereo and more).

How should it be worded? (Is "Ogg data, Vorbis audio" okay?)

Does anyone already have this file magic?

In addition, I am going to do magic.mime also. Is "audio/vorbis" okay?

What if OggS doesn't have a keyword "vorbis" (or other) do I use
"application/ogg" mime type?

Also, I know it is off-topic for this list, but while I am at it, I'd like
to figure out other Ogg formats. I don't have Squish or Tarkin, but are
these keywords also at byte 29 (0x1d)?

Any suggestions of other Ogg mime types names?

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/