[vorbis-dev] gcc 2.95.2/irix/Laguerre_With_Deflation/inifinte loop

Erik Kruus kruus.erik at uqam.ca
Mon Jul 2 05:15:17 PDT 2001

Monty wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 07:24:04PM -0400, ber wrote:
> > I built ogg vorbis from the rc1 cvs source on Irix 6.5.12
> > with gcc 2.95.2.  Using oggenc I encoded about 8,000 aiff files
> > but found about a dozen where oggenc would go into an infinite
> > loop.  I tracked the problem with Laguerre_With_Deflation() as far back
> > as
> > logmask being Inf in floor0_forward.
>
> OK, that's important to know.  All of it?
>
>   I'm now building gcc 3.0 with the
> > expectation this is a compiler issue.  If not, I'll back trace further.
> > Has this been observed by anyone else?  I didn't see it in a search of
> > the
> > archive.

>From the archive between my shoulders... and a different vorbis era...
At one point I stumbled across some NaN's in the vq libs that garbled, rarely,
an occasional file.  I believe that one was in the vq "metrics" somewhere and
fixed by doing a paranoia-check for sqrt(even-so-slightly--ve).  Don't recall
details, but it was "easily" fixed (once found) and didn't cause an infinite loop,
I did change my encoder/vq to add trapping on -all- FPU exceptions after I
caught that one, though, just in case.  Didn't find more, but my test input
was small (only around 10 Gigs of CD)and it wasn't mainstream libvorbis
code.