[vorbis-dev] Compile problems

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Thu Jan 25 12:40:29 PST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> #if 0/#endif can still lead to compiler complaints if the comments
> (which it doesn't recognize as such contain something like ubalanced
> (uneven number of) apostrophes. The contents of #if 0/#endif must be
> complete preprocessor tokens - they are only (and very) good for code.

Forgive me for being off topic...

Actually, that appears to be a gcc-ism -- and admittedly without checking
the C specs -- I'd guess that it's wrong.

I can compile the following program on multiple different native compilers
(Solaris, IRIX) as well as KCC and pgcc (third party C++ compilers) and
only gcc seems to have a problem with it:

-----
#include <stdio.h>

int
main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
#if 0
  This is totally bogus '
#endif
  printf("Hello, world!\n");
  return 0;
}
-----

gcc complains of an unterminated character constant.  But I think it
should apply the preprocessor *first*, and then do the syntactical
analysis.  All the others seem to do that.

Just my $0.02.

The point is moot, because:

1. Monty is fixing the real problem
2. There were no unterminated char/string constants in the code; if there
   were, you'd have larger problems anyway

:-)

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"