[vorbis-dev] Fixed vs. Floating Point primer. was: Implementing Vorbis in hardware

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at gatwood.net
Tue Jan 23 09:51:37 PST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Steve Underwood wrote:

> what Vorbis needs to catch up on now. Monty said many MP3 players are
> currently using StringARM. That would be the easiest route to port
> Vorbis to a portable platform, as you can get a workable solution with a
> few tweaks and a recompile. Since it avoids the need for a separate
> management/control processor, StrongARM may be the most cost effective
> platform overall.

The easiest way to do that would be to do so under Linux.  The company I
work for (MontaVista Software, htp://www.mvista.com) does development
tools for Linux on SA1110 and family, and presumably on the stuff that's
coming down the pipe as well.  It's a cool platform.  If you want an
end-user machine based on SA, look in to the NetWinder or the Compaq iPaq.
Note that there are a lot of machines called Compaq iPaq, and the one with
a StrongArm is specifically called the iPaq StrongArm or something
similar.

Meanwhile, I may try it on one of our boards this week or next and see if
it works correctly.  I figure it'll probably work out of the box.

David