[vorbis-dev] Idea for gapless tracks

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Tue Jan 16 12:23:32 PST 2001

"Monty" <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:

> "Aleksandar Dovnikovic" <aldov at eunet.yu> wrote:
> > One of the solution would be to "teach" the encoder that
> > it has to pay attention that the end of one songs should
> > match up with the beginning of another one. But I'm
> > thinking that there might be a better solution: the encoder
> > shouldn't use psycho-acoustic at the very begging &
> > very end of the songs (for a few milli seconds). This will
> > ensure that the edges will always match...

> Of the various suggestions, I have to say I like this one the most.
> It's simple and relatively easy to do, gets the desired result, etc.
> It would have to be an option of course (those first/last frames would
> be kinda big), but that's not a problem.

I just thought of something else - we should also add the option
to choose whether to encode only the beggining or the end of
the song without the psychoacoustic - because, for example,
if you have an album with tracks 3 & 4 that are gapless, then
it is only necessary to encode the end of track 3 and the
beggining of track 4 without psychoacoustic so that they could
match. Even if the whole album is filled with gapless songs
(like live albums), the beggining of the first track & the end
of the last track should be excluded...

Greetings,
Aleksandar