[vorbis-dev] Idea for gapless tracks

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Sun Jan 14 12:58:47 PST 2001

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 03:49:48PM -0500, spase wrote:
> > No it doesn't.  Vorbis and maybe VQF are the only lossy encoders I know of
> > that don't add silence.
>
> i dont mean to start an argument but...
> i know the guy that made mp+ and he told me it is the exact length.... to
> the sample so lets just leave it at that
>
> (spase)

Not like it's hard to accomplish, all you need to do pad the first and last
block (pad the first because the MDCT windowing will cause attenuation in
the beginning of the block), and transmit offsets to 'really begin' and
'really end' at a certain sample position.

Any format the doesn't do this, is hopelessly incomplete. :)