[vorbis-dev] Idea for gapless tracks

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Fri Jan 5 11:28:00 PST 2001

"David Mitchell" <mitchell at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Doesn't this just move the problem around? OK, so the two songs
> match up perfectly. How do you make the two transitions from the
> decompressed audio to the raw audio and back? Isn't this pretty
> much the same problem as making the transition between two
> decompressed audio blocks?

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you are talking
about how will the player handle two songs that are gapless -
well it has to ensure that nothing comes between these two
songs, by using pre-buffering & continuous output (if you are
using WinAMP there are plug-ins that do this). So the Vorbis
encoder & decoder have done their part of the job by ensuring
that the edges will match, and it is up to the player to ensure that
this is done without any interruption...

Greetings,
Aleksandar