[vorbis-dev] Idea for gapless tracks

Timothy J. Wood tjw at omnigroup.com
Tue Jan 2 04:45:11 PST 2001

On Tuesday, January 2, 2001, at 04:39 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> I would do this on playback if possible.
>
> If the levels don't line up at the join, then you'll hear a click or a
> pop.
> You can smooth the area around the join (say, +- 10 samples, applying a
> 10 sample moving
> average) to try and
> remove this. This can also happen if you do things like change bit rates
> in the
> middle of a piece.
> --

   Or if you have two pieces that are supposed to go together, put them
in the same Vorbis file and keep meta information about the track
information.  Then, if you want to play just one, seek into the right
spot in the file.

   The smoothing is more general, but I'm planning on using the 'single
big file' approach since when I play a song by itself I may want a
different section of audio than when I play a whole album and this way I
only need to encode it once and just store a little meta info.

-tim