[vorbis-dev] ogg pic format (again).. here's why

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Fri Jan 26 19:33:13 PST 2001

At 2:13 PM -0800 1/26/01, rillian at telus.net wrote:
>MNG can be used as a high quality "source" format for video such as one needs
>for editing and effects work.

"High quality" and "lossless" aren't necessarily the same thing.

I think most DV -- including the BetaDV used by video professionals
-- is compressed using a lossy scheme.  I think it may also be
encoded in an uneven format (with twice as many bits for luminance
than for chromanance and a restricted bit range for all).

--
Chris Hanson <cmh at bDistributed.com>
bDistributed.com: Making Business Distributed