[vorbis-dev] Video compression, edge detection, and gcc warnings

Chad Netzer cnetzer at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 10 17:03:56 PST 2001

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:28:07PM +0100, Lourens Veen wrote:

> Well, I have actually done something the past 1 1/2 week. I've created a
> program that runs several filters over an image to extract edge
> information.

Anyone doing edge detection based compression work would be advised to
read some papers by James Elder:

Elder, J.H. Are edges incomplete?,
      International Journal of Computer Vision. Nov 1999

J.H. Elder, S.W. Zucker,  Local Scale Control for Edge Detection and Blur
Estimation,
     IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,
     vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 699-716, 1998.

Elder's publication page can be reached at:

http://elderlab.yorku.ca/~elder/publications.html

Some crude explorations of the ideas presented in these papers can be
found at the following link:

http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee368b/Projects/cnetzer/

In particular, Elder and Zucker have some good multi-scale edge detection
algorithms.  They then reconstruct from the edges using PDE methods, but
the edge detection may also be useful for reconstruction with facets

--
Chad Netzer
cnetzer at stanford.edu