[vorbis-dev] Idea for gapless tracks

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Fri Jan 5 08:54:49 PST 2001

Davy Durham wrote:

> Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
>

> > Instead of smoothing you can cross-mix, which is implemented in many
> > players anyway.  If you need sample-precision you can extrapolate both
> > signals a little with the spectrums they have at their begginings /
> > ends.  Maybe you can use the extra samples that the encoder puts in
> > and marks to be cropped - you can add a flag to encoder to force it
> > leaving so minimal extra samples on both ends - but I'm afraid that
> > this abuses the specification, since another encoder is permitted to put
> > any garbage he wants there.  So better put it in the player.
> > In any case I'm not sure whether it would sound better :-)
> >

> I was going to suggest this, but wouldn't this change the length (which for some reason
> may be undesirable to any degree)?
>
> --- >8 ----

This also want really fix the real problem - large changes in level between adjacent
audio samples will causes clicks or pops, regardless of whether they are within a ADU or
at ADU boundaries.

I think you are really thinking of a mix segue where one track fades out while another starts.
No doubt a human DJ could do this, but what about automatic joins ?  (This is how
we came across the problem.)

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks