[vorbis-dev] Tarkin at last

Erik J. Kruus kruus at surf.chimie.uqam.ca
Thu Jan 4 15:51:28 PST 2001

Jack Moffitt wrote:

> the quality levels we worked with were 95% discard.  even 99% discard
> was pretty decent.
>
> zero-tree packing was what monty and i discussed to reduce the size, and
> hatamoto, monty, and i had some ideas on packing colors efficiently.
>
> obviously there are a lot of easy improvements that can be made.
>
> 1) find a better wavelet
> 2) zero-tree packing
> 3) color packing
>
> any other ideas?

omething I'ld like to call an adaptive wavelet, but really isn't a wavelet at all,

except for falling into the predict&correct category, based
on the concept of edge-directed interpolation
    http://www.ee.princeton.edu/~lixin  (download the thesis)

The bad and a bit of good:

I think his implementation can be improved fairly easily.  I don't know if it's
patented or how. He only treats still images/keyframes, but the idea
extends to 3D trivially (and would do things like slow motion reasonably well, I
imagine
-much- better than a classical wavelet analysis). Straightforward implementation,
even in 2D is
pretty slow (should be done via SVD I think, and ARPACK[++] (free) is my
recommendation
for that).  It's too much work.  (It's easier just to live within the classical
wavelet world).

Erik.