[vorbis-dev] now i'm a real vorbis guy.

Lourens Veen jsr at dds.nl
Tue Jan 2 10:49:36 PST 2001

David Terrell wrote:
> What makes you think that closed sourcing your libs will help anyone
> block the end user from saving streams to disk?  I have yet to see
> a copy protection scheme that could stand up to real users.

Well, I haven't seen any open source QT players for Linux yet, since the
compression algorithms could only be found out by disassembling closed
source players, which is pretty hard. Stream QT and create a closed
source player and I've yet to see anyone cracking it.

Ofcourse you can then do tricks like changing the audio driver code to
output to disk, because the underlying OS is open source. But on Windows
that wouldn't be possible either.

Anyway, you get my point, and you're right, closed sourcing the lib only
doesn't change things. Close down the spec and you're quite a lot
further.

Lourens