[vorbis-dev] win32 question

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Thu Feb 22 20:17:28 PST 2001

At 1:13 PM -0500 2/19/01, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>How about mac?  I know nothing about
>Macs and their compilers.  Darwin compiles can use configure, I assume,
>but I also assume that there are other relevant mac compilers that
>can't/won't use configure.

You can't use configure at all on the classic Mac OS, because it
isn't Unix and doesn't have a Unix-clone command line environment.
(MPW doesn't count; it's superficially similar but in practice it's
very different.)

The mainstream Macintosh compiler and development environment is
Metrowerks CodeWarrior.  It's a (very nice, IMO) fully graphical
environment; there's no underlying command line or makefile system.
The Macintosh support I added to Vorbis was built with CodeWarrior
Pro 5.3; I have CodeWarrior Pro 6.1 now, and have been thinking about
upgrading the Vorbis support (and checking out what's changed since I
last touched it).

Just make sure it's possible to build the source base without running
configure, perhaps by setting a preprocessor variable or two, and
everything will be cool.

Speaking of Macs, I've been thinking lately about how to handle
Carbon and Mac OS X support.  Should the Vorbis and Ogg libraries be
turned into bundles so they can be accessed from both CFM and Mach-O
binaries?  Should there just be two sets of libraries, one for each
runtime architecture?  Or is there some way we can build a framework
for Mac OS X and a Carbon shared library for the classic Mac OS and
have things just work?

   -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson <cmh at bDistributed.com>
bDistributed.com: Making Business Distributed