[vorbis-dev] win32 question

berk berk at nm.ru
Mon Feb 19 11:41:29 PST 2001

Use The Source, Jeff!

Replying to your mail dated Monday, February 19, 2001, 11:13:48 PM,
about "[vorbis-dev] win32 question":

JS> But this runs into the same argument as getopt()/getopt_long() -- we
JS> *shouldn't* provide it if the underlying system already has it.

Well, yes, we shouldn't if it exists. Thats why it is in #ifdef win32
branch.

JS> Do you run ./configure for these compilers?

Ohh.. I'm fucking for two hours with configure for binutils trying to
compile ld with elf support. Under win2k it seems quite impossible.

JS> ----
JS>                 has pathconf()  uses configure
JS> DJGPP           yes             ?
JS> mwing32         no              ?
    ^^^^^^^ MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows
JS> MVC++           ?               no
JS> borland         ?               no
                    ^ - I presume they don't have pathconf, yet I'm
                    not so sure.

JS> Any other relevant win32 compilers?

Cygwin, OpenWatcom (to come).... prolly, not.

JS> How about mac?

Can't say anything 'bout Macs.

JS> IMHO, it is better to write a test that will cover all configure cases
JS> (which will cover all flavors of unix) and only put in special
JS> preprocessor cases for those that don't run configure (e.g., some flavors
JS> of Mac compilers, some flavors of Windows compilers).

For two hours I hate configure, porting, compilers and computers in
general.

keep in touch. berk.
* mailto:berk at nm.ru * http://ber.k45.ru * ICQ UIN: 49516372 *
* The Go! operating system development: http://attend.to/go *