[vorbis-dev] Parallel encoding

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Mon Feb 12 05:41:44 PST 2001

On 12 Feb 2001, Mad Dog wrote:

> I'm afraid this e-mail is me being lazy. I'm interested in adapting
> the encoder to farm out work to various machines on a network. I'm
> just trying to find out if this is going to be trivial. I don't know
> how the encoder works but from my very brief glance through the code
> it would appear that a state is maintained 'vorbis_dsp_state' that's
> going to make my distributed encoding more difficult. Is it worth me
> delving more deeply, presumably this state can't be duplicated across
> all machines?

I've done a bunch of work on this.  I started with multi-threading, with
the idea of spreading across a network as a straightforward extension.

        http://www.mpi.nd.edu/~jsquyres/vorbis/

However, about 2 weeks ago I got heavily involved in the software release
cycle of a different package, and haven't been able to work on it since.
I started the docs pages, but a) didn't finish them, and b) didn't link
them from anywhere.  With those disclaimers, feel free to check out:

        http://www.mpi.nd.edu/~jsquyres/details/

The code is currently in a not-quite-finished stage yet.  Before I got
interrupted, I ran into problems with sharing the vorbis_dsp_state
instance.  Monty suggested some fixes, but I haven't gotten to try them
yet.

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"