[vorbis-dev] compilation issues

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Sun Feb 11 10:32:31 PST 2001

There's some compilation issues on Solaris with the native compilers with
the current CVS head.

OGGENC:
=======

-- "oggenc.c", line 202: warning: improper pointer/integer combination: op
"="

I believe the problem here is that rindex() is prototyped in <strings.h>,
which is not included.  This may be a sun-specific thing.

OGG123:
=======

-- "ogg123.c", line 198: warning: improper pointer/integer combination: op
"="

alloca() is used.  In Solaris, the definition of alloca() is a #define; it
is in <alloca.h>.  oggenc had to add the following to it's platform.h to
accomodate this:

#ifdef __sun
#include <alloca.h>
#endif

-- "ogg123.c", line 506: syntax error before or at: /

C++ style comments are used; they need to be changed to C-style.

-- "ao_interface.c", line 61: undefined symbol: NAME_MAX

As has been pointed out on this list and the vorbis-list, NAME_MAX is not
portable and should not be used.  PATHNAME_MAX should be used instead.
See http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200101/0380.html and
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200012/0183.html.  The short version
is: pathconf() should be used instead of NAME_MAX.

-- "buffer.c", line 57: warning: assignment type mismatch:
volatile pointer to struct chunk_s {long len, array[4096] of char data}

Self explanitory.

-- In Solaris (and others), connect/socket are in libsocket.a, and
gethostbyname is in libnsl.a. Need to add "-lnsl -lsocket" to the link
lines for Solaris.  This is probably best added in the vorbis-tools
top-level configure.in in the "check for libraries" section.  This will
potentially add some useless libraries to the oggenc link line, but that's
what you get for having a single configure for two different programs.
;-)

AC_CHECK_LIB(socket, socket)
AC_CHECK_LIB(nsl, gethostbyname)

VORBISCOMMENT:
==============

It looks like vorbiscomment is now back "in favor", so I'll start
mentioning things that are broken...

-- <getopt.h> is not found in vcomment.h.

See my comments about the whole getopt situation in my previous e-mail.

-- "vcomment.c", line 196: warning: improper pointer/integer combination:
op "="

Same as above -- Sun prototypes index() in <strings.h>.

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"