[vorbis-dev] Conversion API for computer telephony systems (Dialogic Mu-law wa v format to PCM encoded wav format)

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Thu Feb 8 14:06:00 PST 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Giovanni Sanfelici wrote:

> I am working on a project involving the conversion of a Mu-law sound format
> (Dialogic Mu-law wav format) file into a standard PCM encoded wav file
> format.
> Could somebody tell me if this feature is supported in the Vorbis software
> and if there is any source code available that performs this task.
> If not, does anybody know  of any resources that might provide me with this
> tools or information.

Vorbis is lossy audio compression format.  It takes PCM data (at least oggenc,
the encoder, does) and crunches it down by eliminating unnecessary audio
components and doing other such magic.

I think you are looking for sox, an audio conversion program which (according
to its manual page) can read and write PCM and mu-law wav files.

---
Stan Seibert