[vorbis-dev] Ogg123 buffering

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Wed Feb 28 14:38:50 PST 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:17:43PM -0600, Aaron Plattner wrote:
> I tried to use ogg123 -b to play from a slow HTTP server, and I realized that
> ogg123 starts to play immediately even if the buffer isn't full, so if it can't
> read the ogg fast enough it skips, even with a huge buffer.  Is this the way
> it's supposed to work?  It seems to me like the buffer shouldn't start playing
> until it's full.  Am I misunderstanding the purpose of having a buffer?

No you are not; it's an implementation issue. The present buffer code
does not have a way to tell how empty or full the buffer is. It is
still useful for sudden system load or intermittant network traffic,
but this is something that has been lacking. I'm very caught up in
lots of other things (as if you all couldn't tell...) so if you can
fix that, and maybe add a semaphore or other IPC mechanism instead of
my hacklike spinlock on the location pointers (or even one lock per
each chunk_t) while you're at it, everyone here can have a big party
(while I finish my homework). ;)

Bah, I should maintain my code...

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>