[vorbis-dev] OggDrop not as good as it should be.

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Tue Feb 27 07:05:50 PST 2001

Dirk Knop wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> At 14:29 27.02.01, you wrote:
> >Dirk Knop wrote:
> > > i just tested the new .exe (release) with 128kbit/s output. The resulting
> > > filesize is now 20 MB instead of 7 mb.... any suggestions?
> >
> >Hmm, that's strange. Did you have a look at the actual bitrate of the
> >output file?
> >Was it a normal stereo file?
>
> It's a track ripped from CD (so -> normal stereo). i checked the
> beta-oggdrop from vorbis.com tonight which gave me a file of 7.814kb (what
> outperforms ogg/vorbis beta 3 and pre-beta4 at 128kbps in matters of size).
> I took the same file and now it seems to be encoded @350kbps (the bitrate
> shown by the winamp-plugin varies between 300 and 330kbps), resulting in a
> size of 20.063kb (the song is 8:42min long, so the bitrates are: 307.5kbps
> for the new file and 119.8 kbps for the official beta release).
> I hope this helps you figuring out what's wrong,

It was a bug. I accidentily scaled by length, not by channel count. I
wonder why I didn't notice this while testing. I only tested with small
songs.

I've uploaded a new version to the same URL. I hope this version fixes
the problem.

> best regards,
>
> Dirk

Olaf van der Spek