[vorbis-dev] some listening tests

ben at slumber.dhs.org ben at slumber.dhs.org
Tue Feb 13 21:52:27 PST 2001

Hi,

I have a couple of samples that produce interesting artifacts when
encoded with the CVS snapshot of 2001-02-13.  Both are about a meg.

ftp://slumber.dhs.org/tmp/4.wav.bz2

When encoded with oggenc -b 128, there is a sort of stereo separation
in the drums, while in the original they are 'solidly' positioned in the
stereo field.  This also occurs with -b 160 and is barely audible with
-b 192.

ftp://slumber.dhs.org/tmp/beetles.wav.bz2

In this one there is a breathy vocal that becomes noisy and has the same
stereo effect as above.  This is audible with -b 128 through -b 256.

In each of these, the part of the sound in which the artifact is audible
is a panned mono sound mixed with stereo sounds, and I can't hear it
with samples that are just a panned mono sound.

Ben