[vorbis-dev] Please gix getopt

Michael Smith msmith at xn.com.au
Sun Feb 11 17:05:31 PST 2001

> Actually, I chatted with others on #vorbis today, and there was
> more-or-less agreement that this might be a good idea (I won't speak for
> anyone specifically -- chime in if you dis/agree).
>
> a) the getopt* files should be moved into vorbis-tools/getopt/
> b) all the types and symbols should be renamed to have an "ov_" prefix
> c) they should be compiled into libovgetopt.a (no need for shared)
> d) oggenc, ogg123, and vorbiscomment should -lovgetopt

This needlessly and wastefully links in a copy of getopt on GNU systems,
where getopt already exists. There's NO reason to do that.

Can you name a system where the duplicated symbols (between the included
GNU getopt and the system's getopt) actually causes compilation
_errors_, that are difficult or impossible to work around?

Having only a single copy and linking it into each program is good (the
only reason I added a second copy for ogg123 is that nobody else was
going to fix it, at the time, and I wasn't going to do automake crap). A
worthwhile change.

Modifying the sources pervasively like this is definately not good,
however.

Michael