[vorbis-dev] A different take at video encoding - I'm stuck though

Holger Waechtler hwaechtler at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 11 02:25:52 PST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Lourens Veen wrote:

> As I said in the other thread (for people using threaded mail)/in my
> last mail (for the rest), I'm working on the "split up the frames into
> textured triangles and output textures and coordinates" idea. The idea
> is to find edges in the image. So far I have a Sobel edge detector, a
> wavelet transformer (to compress the textures, still very incomplete,
> transform only),

As I already mentioned before, I'd really like to see developed many
approaches. It's the same as the .gz <-> .bz2 thing, your approach will be
considerably slower on the encoder side (on the receiver side too if
you don't have hardware OpenGL), but may achieve better compression
results. Since the 3d wavelet transform is a symmetric process, this is
probably the only approach which will allow a realtime encoder or harddisk
video recorder. But whenever compression ratio is more important than
encoding time, other algorithms may perform better.

- Holger

btw: for texture compression you can use the current wavelet code without
     major modifications -- just set the number of frames per block to 1.