[vorbis-dev] video codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Feb 10 19:08:29 PST 2001

Ralph Giles wrote:
> Don't know if you were around the last time this was discussed. I'd
> suggested using ogg-encapsulated mng in a separate substrate for overlays.
> We need that for dvd-style multilingual subtitles anyway, and it adds a
> lot of creative and educational flexibility. Of course we should try to be
> as general as possible, but the video codec should concentrate on natural
> video and film sources, I think.

Are you saying that DVD does subtitling by lossless graphics, rather
than, say, Unicode? I wondered why the font changes so often. I guess it
makes sense, as it keeps the handling of thing like Devanagiri as easy
as Romance text. Highly flexible for karaoke too (much bigger market
than anything remotely educational).

Regards,
Steve