[vorbis-dev] video codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Feb 9 08:03:34 PST 2001

Marco Al wrote:

> From: "Steve Underwood" <steveu at coppice.org>
>
> > This sounds like focusing the testing on what you expect to happen,
> > rather than keeping an open mind about unexpected quirky behaviour. Not
> > a good idea. Nasty realities often bite suprisingly late in the day when
> > you take that approach.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Steve
>
> Maybe but in this case its valid IMO, why worry about useless data you can
> always remove by preprocessing? If the compression method can do the required
> processing during compression thats nice, but its certainly not something you
> would want to make a requirement.

Hum. Lets take a couple of examples.

I have a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Its a bit old and noisy. I put it through a
codec that tends to glide over the noise. Those big areas of noisy
colour, which should be bland and textureless, have become smoother. The
result might actually look better than the original. I am happy.

Now I come to a natural history film. A close up of a cat with mottled
fur. Its a moving, and the picture is a mass of rapidly changing detail
- a lot like noise. The codec suppresses it. Now I'm not so happy.

Your useless data may not be mine. Years of DSP have taught me that I
can predict only 80-90% of the outcome. The other 10-20% can be a
killer! Don't wait too long to find out.

Regards,
Steve