[vorbis-dev] video codec

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Thu Feb 8 10:28:19 PST 2001

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:12:43AM -0800, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Steve Underwood wrote:
>
> > mini-DV camcorders are capable of quite excellent results. This may not
> > be the ideal test material, though. Its just too clean. Many compression
> > schemes which will do very well on this, may do rather poorly on more
> > typcial somewhat noisy but uncompressed video. Use a mini-DV handycam in
> > low light, and make sure there is plenty of noise to really exercise the
> > codec.
>
> One imagines running the source through a noise "filter" would be a better
> way of exercising this. Likewise with filmic grain, scratches and dust.
>
> An unrealated question: what's a good license for any test clips we
> produce. BSD? Public Domain? "non-commercial use" seems popular elsewhere.

Actually, that kind of noise (hi-gain on CCD in lowlight, noise 'filter',
etc), isn't anywhere the kind of issue for wavelet thresholding coders that
is is for DCT coders so it's perfectly reasonable to use non-noisy test
sets.

Since we're looking at 3d transform coders, it would probably be more
intesting to have footage with segments of smooth motion combined with
sudden scene changes..