[vorbis-dev] video codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Feb 8 07:56:44 PST 2001

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 07:53:14AM +0100, Lourens Veen wrote:
> > Well, coulde be me, but AVIs are compressed too aren't they? I have
> > plenty of video sequences to test with, but they're all mpeg files and
> > thus full of artefacts. I don't have a framegrabber or webcam, and I
> > don't know anyone who does. I do have a fast internet link (I live on a
> > university campus) so if anyone knows a server with some losslessly
> > compressed (or uncompressed) video please do tell me.
>
> http://libdv.sourceforge.net/
>
> DV isn't lossless, but it's high bitrate and representitive of the type of
> source a OGG video codec would probably see..
>
> (practically nothing uses losslessly compressed video because it's too darn
> big!)

mini-DV camcorders are capable of quite excellent results. This may not
be the ideal test material, though. Its just too clean. Many compression
schemes which will do very well on this, may do rather poorly on more
typcial somewhat noisy but uncompressed video. Use a mini-DV handycam in
low light, and make sure there is plenty of noise to really exercise the
codec.

Regards,
Steve