[vorbis-dev] video codec

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Wed Feb 7 18:08:14 PST 2001

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 12:14:56AM +0100, Lourens Veen wrote:
> Okay, now the only problem is that I don't have any video4linux hardware
> so I can't test your program...I imagine I'm not the only one.

The input code is pretty simple; for v4l you just
read(fd,buf,framesize); it should be quite simple to read input from a
PNM or similar.

I've looked over the code for this also -- though the wavelet
transform is currently over my head (though I hope to remedy that
soon; any resources to suggest?), I do notice that it's reading the
entire video into one big buffer and passing the entire buffer to the
wavelet transform. Obviously this won't work for streaming; the
wavelet has to break somewhere. Perhaps a windowed wavelet?

And how about getting a bitstream for this? It should be easy enough
to encapsulate the results of the wavelet transform in an Ogg stream.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>