[vorbis-dev] Determining stream type

Ralph Giles giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Sun Feb 4 15:03:57 PST 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Michael Smith wrote:

> Although the spec exists, the current libogg code doesn't deal with
> non-degenerate bitstreams. That's something that will most likely be
> added post-1.0, I think.

Really? There's no problem with doing multiple streams as far a the libogg
api is concerned. Are you saying this code is broken?

Michael is right about having to look at the data of the b_o_s pages to
decide which substream is which type. Vorbis starts with 'vorbis'; your
custom substream should begin with similarly identifying magic. You build
a table at each chaining boundary, and then use it to switch who gets to
decode the packets in a given ogg page.

Vorbisfile won't work here, of course. You'll have to use libogg and
libvorbis directly.

There's been considerable dicussion about a "table of contents" substream,
but nothing's been settled on. I imagine it will be a while...insufficient
data imo.

 -ralph