[vorbis-dev] Idea for gapless tracks

Astafiev Andrei andrei at vest.ru
Fri Feb 2 03:14:45 PST 2001

>One of the solution would be to "teach" the encoder that
>it has to pay attention that the end of one songs should
>match up with the beginning of another one. But I'm
>thinking that there might be a better solution: the encoder
>shouldn't use psycho-acoustic at the very begging &
>very end of the songs (for a few milli seconds). This will
>ensure that the edges will always match...

>Does this holds water or not?

making files that depend on others is a wrong way.
suppose, i don't have next file that decoder will do?
or what will be if i'll encode cd and then split it on tracks?

the only one way to make gapeless output is to make
independend frames and buffer them for decoder.

as i know, mpg123 makes gapelss output of mp3
(this can be checked with total recorder)
even if frames depend on each other just because
frames from the next file are buffering and
for decoder both files seemed like one.

andrei at vest.ru