[vorbis-dev] thoughts about MP3 -> OGG convertor

Simon Hosie gumboot at clear.net.nz
Tue Dec 18 12:11:00 PST 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:45:31PM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, John Zitterkopf wrote:
>
> > Why is this a bad IDEA? I take it it's because of the "lossy" nature of
> > both types.
>
> Its a bad idea because mp3-compression and vorbis compression affect the
> audio in different ways: artifacts from the mp3compression will be mixed
> with artifacts from the vorbis compression.

Additionally, of course, you are essentially relabelling something that
isn't necessarily all that good as something from which people might
have higher expectations.  Focussing entirely on the original set of
artifacts you still have something to complain about.

If passing the buck is necessary it would be best if it was done properly,
'PRIOR-CODEC=lame 3.89', or whatever, would be more appropriate if that
information is available.  Perhaps default to 'unknown MP3'.