[vorbis-dev] On the "broken" .WAV files issue

Josh Coalson j_coalson at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 10:58:56 PDT 2001

According to the microsoft docs originally pointed to in
thread, it is also legal to use the 18-byte format chunk
for PCM data if the two extended length bytes are zero.
And apparently some tools are generating wave files like
this.

It's seems probable that this was done to break backwards
compatibility in true MS style since it would have been
just as easy to just extend the chunk for non-PCM data,
but the fix is easy enough.

Josh