[vorbis-dev] Compilers and performance

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Thu Aug 16 17:26:33 PDT 2001

All this talk of different compilers has gotten me curious. So I built
oggenc (RC2, of course) with the newest compiler I could find. The link
below contains Win32 binaries optimised for PPro, P2, P3, and P4 processors.
The P3 binary seems to be on the order of 20% faster than my VC6 binary
(which should be identical to the one on www.vorbis.com, right?) on my
P3Xeon. What I'm really curious about is the benefit (or lack thereof) of
SSE2 instructions. Could someone with a P4 please test this out at let me
know how much faster (or slower) it is for you?

http://members.tripod.com/ix42/oggenc.specific.zip