[vorbis-dev] Question re future ...

Rob Fletcher rpf1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Aug 14 02:04:38 PDT 2001

Hello all,

As a keen watcher/user of the technology can I say well done all for RC1.
A flute track I had which betas had difficulty with is just fine with RC1.
The effect was that the flute would "step back" about 12 dB into the mix.

For the future, I see of course that n-channel is on its way. I will
endeavour to get Dave Malham on board (he was willing earlier!).

I can still see a use for the n-channel codecs for musicians to exchange
music across the net for collaborations. However, we would need to keep
any cross-channel encoding/coupling out of this format. The other thing
which would be nice would be some way for previously encoded tracks to be
dumped back into a vorbis file so that the decode/encode process was
bypassed if the track in question was NOT altered, thus keeping any errors
to a minimum.

I am not sure if this will be possible ... but it would be nice.

Bascially - a quick test would be to take a standard 2-channel file (or
even a 4-channel file) and run this through a program which would simply
spit out a new file which was the same as the original. But not a simple
copy (of course!). I can foresee timing alignment issues and so on ... but
someone else must have had some thoughts on this ...

ogg is not just for compressing audio surely ... we need to expand on
its use ...

Cheers all,

And once again, well done on a great product ...

Rob.

P.S. The early 4-channel codec I did (based on early betas) for my
     SGI system was easy to do and worked a treat, so I am very hopeful
     for the future of the n-channel formats.

| Dr R P Fletcher    (Rob)   | Email     R.Fletcher at york.ac.uk    |
| Graphics Coordinator       | Phone     +44 (0)1904 433816       |
| Computing Service          | Frontdesk +44 (0)1904 433800       |
| University of York         | Fax       +44 (0)1904 433740       |
| YORK YO10 5DD, UK          | ICQ UIN   4019164                  |