[vorbis-dev] Standard Open Source Bug detected, try murksaround ...

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Sat Aug 11 09:22:39 PDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:

> (ogg123 is decoding to stdout)
>
> IIRC this also happened with older mpg123's but
> no longer with the latest release. Latest ogg123 from
> CVS still gives it though. Someone stole code but
> forgot to check for fixes? :)

(I already talked with you about this in IRC, but I'll reply here for the rest
of the list.)

This error is caused by libao's behavior of writing empty (i.e. all zero) WAV
headers when playback begins and going back to fix them when playback
ends.  WAV playback from libao should not be piped (since you can't get
the size info in the header correct up front), and you should use the AU
output instead.

However, since WAV seems to be the least common denominator output format,
people are piping it anyway.  So, I've changed libao in CVS to write a dummy
header first assuming a file size of 0x7fffffff.  It goes back and fixes it if
it can at device closing time.

BTW: Our wav output code mostly came from ac3dec (GPL) and not mpg123.  Either
way, calling this an "Open Source Bug" is strange.  That should be submitted
as a bug to the abx author.  :)

---
Stan Seibert