[vorbis-dev] tag specifications

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Aug 9 23:12:20 PDT 2001

At 05:22 PM 8/9/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm committing the heinous crime of posting before I've been on a list for
>very long, and I apologize in advance.  I don't know how often this comes up
>and if it has recently if someone will just point me to an archive where this
>discussion has already happened, I'll shut up.
>
>I've got an MP3 tagger (QTagger) that I released a while back.  I'm trying to
>get a few things done feature wise with it, but I thought it'd be nice for it
>to work with Ogg files.
>
>Is there a spec for the tag?  I noticed that it's at the front of the file
>like an id3v2 tag.  Are there any libs for manipulating the tag?  If not can
>someone point me to the place in the main lib source where it handles the
>tags?

Yes, there's a spec. vorbis/doc/v-comment.html specifies the format for the
content of the tags (the actual format of the tags in the bitstream isn't
documented there, but the core vorbis libs handle that completely, so you
don't really need that. And it's very simple if you ever do need to figure
out the details, anyway.

vorbiscomment (in vorbis-tools) has two parts - a frontend, and the core
which actually does the comment editing. The core bit is LGPLed, you can
use that. It's not perfect yet (it has problems with a) files processed
by vcut (I know how to fix this, but haven't had the time to do it), and
can have problems with corrupted streams (such as those without the end-
of-stream flag set), but it works for every common case. These bugs will
be fixed soon (probably this weekend).

Michael