[vorbis-dev] Ogg MIDI proposal

Lourens Veen jsr at dds.nl
Sun Aug 26 12:20:23 PDT 2001

rillian wrote:

> On Sunday, August 26, 2001, at 03:03 , Lourens Veen wrote:
>
> > Why not just specify that a packet which should start being played at
> > time x is not allowed to come before any packets that end before or on
> > time x, and that packets should be ordered within that constraint in
> > order of size (ie smallest packet first) to make buffering most
> > efficient.
>
> s/in order of size// but otherwise that sounds like a reasonable
> heuristic. Pages can cover wildly different spans of time for a given
> size, so the ordering isn't that simple. Now, does your time-interleave
> requirement really bound decoding delays?

Hmm, how about simply sorting the pages (not packets, we're talking Ogg
not Vorbis, my bad) by their starting time. That way the next page in
the stream is always the one the decoder needs next.

As far as I can see at the moment that should be the most efficient, as
there are never pages that aren't directly needed in the buffer.

Lourens