[vorbis-dev] RECORDNUMBER

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Aug 25 20:04:40 PDT 2001

I'd probably use VOLUMENUMBER instead. Or better yet just include
it in the title. Or, depending on how the tracks were listed,
use the same album title, but increment the TRACKNUMBER across
each of the disks.

For the DATE header, we do suggest that you use the ISO format, or
at least spell out the month (or the day of week) to remove
ambiguity. But to demand standardized, machine parseable data
misses the point; the spec clearly indicates the vorbis comment
header is intended for simple human-readable data only.

Our standard answer to this has been that we plan to have a structured
format for rich (aka 'kitchen sink') metadata that's intended for
machine comparison and searching. One of the reasons I've not been
in a hurry with this is it's more a nicety for distribution. You
can always use a catalog program with an external database to manage
your music collection, and/or use the comment metadata to look up
details in an internet db.

Of course, if your application does make more sense with machinable
fields in the comment header, go ahead and define your own tags. We
might not think it's the best idea, but it's none of our business,
and that's why the format is extensible.

FWIW,
 -r