[vorbis-dev] RECORDNUMBER

Ingo Ralf Blum ingoralfblum at gmx.de
Fri Aug 24 12:46:40 PDT 2001

> AFAIK the DATE tag, and other comment tags are meant to be read by
> humans, so players don't need to parse them. Additionally, forcing
> people to use one date format would be difficult to say the least.
> "Vorbis comments are simple key, value pairs."

So currently there is no possibility to reliably parse Vorbis comments and use
the contents programatically. At the moment it is not possible to auto create
search indices based on the comments. In my opinion this is really bad. Is there
anything planned to standardize a set if tag keys and value formats? I know that
there are already some tags proposed, but what was the reason to set up these
keywords. If it was only to show it to the user, then why to use predefined
keywords like DATE. Perhaps for the user a key in his not English native
language is nicer. And such key names still fullfill the
meant-to-be-read-by-humans condition. The questions is: does it make sense to
allow arbitrary content in the comments. I think yes, as far as there is a basic
set of comments with predefined key names and predefined content format. The
user then has still the choice to add whatever comments he wants, but having
standardized content format for certain keys allows it to easily interchange
oggs between different users using different languages and locales.

Regards Ingo