[vorbis-dev] Re: Can't compile CVS with non-gcc compilers

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Thu Aug 23 10:11:21 PDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > Apparently, no and no.  "make dist" still seems to work for me even if I
> > use --include deps, and it looks like the gcc/gmake dependency stuff is
> > not included regardless of whether you use --include-deps or not (which
> > seems to be a good choice).
>
> This dramatically limits the scope of the problem them.  That means

Yep.

> only people compiling from CVS are disadvantaged, and so I think
> having them use --include-deps as an extra option is acceptable.
> This is necessitate a short CVS build document (HACKING is the usual
> name, no?) to explain that this option is required for non-gcc based
> dev environments.

Sure.  There should probably be some minimal document anyway to say that
"autogen.sh" should be used.  That file should probably not be included in
distribution tarballs, hence it should not be listed in EXTRA_DIST.

> I'm not sure that the scope warrants the 'make depend' stuff, but if
> you think it does, it shouldn't be horrible to add.

I agree -- I think we don't need it anymore.  Since the majority of
development (AFAIK) is done with gcc/gmake, the automake
gmake/gcc-dependant stuff should be fine.  "make depend" stuff is rarely
bullet-proof anyway.  I think the stuff that I submitted was no exception
to that.

So if we add the $AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS stuff, I'll be happy with this and
shutup about this whole issue.  :-)

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"