[vorbis-dev] Re: Can't compile CVS with non-gcc compilers

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Thu Aug 23 05:30:38 PDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> I think it suffices to add --include-deps to the automake arguments in
> autogen.sh.

Cool -- I was previously unaware of this option.

After some testing, I can verify that using --include-deps does fix the
gcc/gmake-specific issues, but I can't seem to find where it is generating
and including the dependency information.  This doesn't even seem to
happen with gcc/gmake.  That is, no dependencies appear in the generated
Makefile.in or Makefile, nor do they appear in the .tar.gz that is
generated from "make dist".  Is this an[other] automake bug?

How about a compromise -- since dependency generation is important for the
developers, can we have an option to pass in --include-deps to autogen.sh?
Indeed, I see that there is already the use of $ACLOCAL_FLAGS -- can we
also have an $AUTOMAKE_FLAGS so that those of us who are building on
non-gcc/gmake platforms can set AUTOMAKE_FLAGS before running autogen.sh?
I included a patch for all 4 autogen.sh's to show what I mean.

That would be most helpful for the small percentage of us who need it, and
leave the default behavior the same as it is now for the majority who
don't need it.

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>TEXT/PLAIN attachment: autogen.patch
</UL>