[vorbis-dev] Minimal decoder version for RC2 encoded files

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Aug 21 05:49:16 PDT 2001

>> To decode RC2 files the RC1 and RC2 decoder will work, with the RC2
>> decoder being the recommended one.
>>
>> Generally, the RC1 (and RC2) decoder can be expected to be able to
>> handle all files until Vorbis 2.
>
>Ah, ok. I'll compile with the newest code then. But what will the beta 4
>decoder do with RC2 files?

It _should_ refuse to open it (if you're using vorbisfile. If you're at the
lower-level libvorbis interface, you'd expect it to reject one or both of
headers 1 and 3, if you want a more specific answer). There's no reason to
suspect this doesn't work as intended, but I doubt it's been explicitly
tested for every case possible.

Michael