[vorbis-dev] ogg.m4 and vorbis.m4

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Mon Aug 20 04:56:40 PDT 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 volsung at asu.edu wrote:

> > 	if test "x$ogg_prefix" != "xNONE" -a "$ogg_prefix" != "no" \
> > 		-a "$ogg_prefix" != ""
>
> I'm currently banging on this problem.  It was brought up to me by
> some people who use autoconf 2.50.  I'm reasonably certain that these
> macros are broken currently.  I think I have ao.m4 fix (which makes
> fixing the others trivial), but I need more info on autoconf 2.50 (I
> have 2.13) before I can be sure:
>
> 2.13 sets $prefix to "NONE" if not set.  Does 2.50 make $prefix equal
> the empty string?

Ah -- I was wondering where NONE came from.  Here's what I get (BTW, 2.52
is the most recent version of autoconf):

$prefix			2.13		2.52
---------------------	-------------	----------------
<nothing>		NONE		NONE
--prefix=foo		foo		foo

$ogg_prefix		2.13		2.52
---------------------	-------------	----------------
<nothing>		""		""
--with-ogg-prefix=foo	foo		foo
--without-ogg-prefix	no		no

I'm not sure where the whole "x$foo" = "x" thing came from (perhaps
someone put the quotes in later), but there's no harm in adding another
character, so I left it in my original e-mail.  So if we understand where
the NONE stuff came from, we can reduce the test to:

         if test "$ogg_prefix" != "" -a "$ogg_prefix" != "no"; then
        elif test "$prefix" != "" -a "$prefix" != "NONE"; then
        fi

Howzat?

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"