[vorbis-dev] extremely noticeable artifact (britney-bug)

Daniel Resare noa at metamatrix.se
Mon Aug 20 00:22:42 PDT 2001

I really don't know if this is the same problem that was reported by Ingo
Saitz (I really couldn't say which one was 128kbit and which was the
original wav when blind-testing. The original had some distortion that
perhaps does somehting with my cheapo soundcard) but here's a description
of what i've found:

When doing some sample encoding with rc2 (rebuilt rpm with latest redhat
7.1 gcc errata) I got some extremely loud treble distortion sounds in the
left channel (only). Please listen to the samples at low level to avoid
hurting your ears. My guess is that the bug is related to the channel
coupling mode used in 128bit and 80bit mode because that's the only modes
that exposes this behaviour.

A 6 second sample of the problem is available from
http://noa.tm/britney-bug/

By the way, the documentation on http://www.vorbis.com/stereo.psp indicates
that there is a way to select stereo mode with oggenc, but that don't seem
to be documented.

cheers
/daniel

ps. apart from this problem, the rc2 release sounds great. All of the
annoying artifacts i've found with beta4 128kbit seems to be magically
gone. Great work!

--
begin:vcard fn:Daniel Resare tel;cell:+46739442044 tel;work:+468332040
adr;work:Scheelegatan 36; 112 28; Stockholm; Sweden end:vcard