[vorbis-dev] Executable size with vorbis.

Chris Nuernberger nuernber at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:53:33 PDT 2001

Hey, this is Chris from Anark, and we would love to use your tools in some
of our commercial applications.  I wrote a compressor/decompressor and
noticed that the size of the executable was rather large.  This is actually
going to be made into part of a project that needs to be small, i.e right
now it is 2 megs total and that is far too large.  The part that needs to be
small 'could' only decompress, with the compression routines needed in a
different piece of software.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce
the size of the libraries?  If we limited compression to only 128 kbps,
could we then eliminate some options?  We are willing to eliminate most
flexibility in order to achieve this.

I noticed that the static libs are huge ~.5megs a piece.  Is there anything
we could cut out to make them smaller?  I threw all of the code into one
static lib and (after fixing quite a few compiler errors) noticed that the
resulting lib was around 600k.  Too large for a downloadable that is already
over 1 meg.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Chris Nuernberger
(chris.nuernberger at anark.com).