[vorbis-dev] Will Vorbis happily decode packets with random data?

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Wed Aug 8 09:16:58 PDT 2001

Hi,

For my application there's been some talk of people hiding viruses in
Vorbis files.  While the possibility's remote, I'm exploring ways to
verify that a give file really is a Vorbis file, and doesn't even have
long streaches of executable code in the middle of it.

If a file has valid Ogg page structure, and a valid Vorbis header, but
somewhere in the file a packet has been replaced with arbitrary data
(say Windows executable code), will the decoder notice this?  For
example, will it get into some invalid state which it notices, and
return an error code?  Or will it happily produce bogus output, unaware
that there's a problem?

If it will notice the problem, then I can check for valid Vorbisness by
decoding the file.  If not, then I'll need to think of something else.

Thanks,
Martin